|Compound slide gib in original position|
I decided to change the position of the adjusting screws. And also thought that having more screws may result in more precise adjustment. The screws should go somehow lower, but if I drilled the new holes e.g. a millimeter lower, there would not be enough space remaining between the base and the screw heads so I made 6 new threaded holes just in line with the originals, but in a 6 degrees angle downward, so they will hopefully push de gib to lie on the surface on which it is intended to.
|The compound slide with the six new M3 threaded holes|
Here it comes with the new threaded holes and milled angled surfaces for the nuts to lie perpendicularly to the new holes' direction.
|Modified gib position|
In addition I put a one millimeter thick steel strip above the gib to ensure correct placement, then grinded 8.8 class M3 steel screws to have a 90 degrees conic end, and carefully tightened them one by one while moving the base part to be at the actual screw so that the screws formed their own nests in the gib.
Even after the first experimental reassembly of the machine it appeared to be definitely more stable, while the compound feed-screw could also be used like never before. Later it needed some re-adjustment and it is fine indeed since then.
And finally please check out my "famous" rebar-pen specimens: